Asfaa (transliteration: Asfaʿ, Arabic: أسفع) is an Arabic name for boys that means “something that is dark with a reddish hue”.123 Asfaa also means “falcon”.4 Asfaa is also used to refer to wild oxen that have reddish black faces.5
Asfaa is also spelled Asfa’ and Asfa.
There are two Companions of the Prophet Muhammad named Asfaa:
- al-Asfaa al-Bakri الأسفع البكري
- al-Asfaa al-Jarmi (al-Jurami?) الأسفع الجرمي
Below is the name Asfaa written in Arabic naskh script:
Below is the name Asfaa written in Arabic kufi script:
- Al-Misbaah al-Muneer by al-Fayyumi (d. 1368 CE), entry for سفع.
- Al-Mu`jam al-Waseet by a Team of Writers (1998), entry for سفع.
- Taj al-Lughah wa Sihaah al-Arabiyyah by al-Jawhari (d. 1003 CE), entry for سفع.
- Taaj al-Aroos by Murtada al-Zabidi (d. 1790 CE), entry for سفع.