Afra (transliteration: ʿAfrāʾ, Arabic: عفراء) is an Arabic name for girls that means “a white color that is not too white”1, “a white color that has a very light red shade”2, originally meaning “colored like dust”3. Afra is also a nickname for the 13th night of the lunar month.4 When used to describe an animal, it means an animal that is white without patches of other colors.5
Afra may also be spelled as Afraa, Afra’, Aphra and Efra.
There are two Companions of the Prophet Muhammad named Afra:
- Afra bint al-Sakan عفراء بنت السكن
- Afra bint Ubaid عفراء بنت عبيد
Below is the name Afra written in Arabic naskh script:
Below is the name Afra written in Arabic kufi script:
- Ghareeb al-Hadeeth by Abu Ubaid al-Qaasim bin Salam al-Harawi (d. 838 CE), entry for عفر.
- Al-Mu`jam al-Waseet by a Team of Writers (1998), entry forعفر.
- Al-Muheet fil Lughah by al-Sahib bin Abbad (d. c. 995 CE), entry forعفر.
- Al-Muhkam wal Muheet al-Aadham by Ibn Seedah al-Mursi (d. 1066 CE), entry for عفر.