Asiyah (transliteration: Āsiyah, Arabic: آسية) is an Arabic name for girls that means “melancholic”1 When describing a building, it means “sturdy”, “robust”.2 It also means “column”, “pillar”.34 Asiyah is also used to refer to the continent Asia5, although today the standard way to refer to Asia is the word آسيا (Āsyā).
Asiyah is also spelled Aasia, Aasya, Aaseya, Aseya, Aseyah, Aasiyah and Asiah.
The name Asiyah is most famous for being the name of the Pharaoh’s wife in the story of Moses, her full name is mentioned as Asiyah bin Muzāḥim.6 There is also one Sahabiyyah (female Companion of the Prophet Muhammad ) named Asiyah:
- Asiyah bint al-Faraj al-Jurumiyyah آسية بن الفرج الجرهميّة
Below is the name Asiyah written in Arabic naskh script:
Below is the name Asiyah written in Arabic kufi script:
- Al-Qamoos al-Muheet by Fairuzabadi (d. 1414 CE), entry for أَسِيتُ.
- Taj al-Lughah wa Sihaah al-Arabiyyah by al-Jawhari (d. 1003 CE), entry for أسا.
- See for example Al-Mu`jam al-Waseet by a Team of Writers (1998), entry for السمور.
- Lisaan al-Arab by Ibn Manzur (d. 1311 CE), entry for أسا.