Abda (transliteration: ʿAbdah) is an Arabic name for boys that means “female slave”.12. Despite the fact the name means “female slave”, it was given to boys probably due to the Arabian belief that the name would protect the boy from envy.
Abda may also be spelled as Abdah and Abduh.
There are seven Companions of the Prophet with the name Abda:
- Abda bin Haznعبدة بن حزن
- Abda bin al-Hashaasعبدة بن الحسحاس
- Abda bin al-Tayyibعبدة بن طيب
- Abda bin Qart bin Khubabعبدة بن قرط بن خباب
- Abda bin Mushir al-Bajaliعبدة بن مسهر البجلي
- Abda bin Mu`tibعبدة بن معتب
- Abda (slave of the Prophet SAW)عبدة مولى رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم
Below is the name Abda written in the Arabic naskh script:
Below is the same name written in Arabic kufi script:
- Lisaan al-Arab by Ibn Manzur (d. 1311 CE), entry for عبد.
- Al-Muhkam wal Muheet al-Aadham by Ibn Seedah al-Mursi (d. 1066 CE), entry for عبد.