Buthaina (transliteration: Buthayna, Arabic: بثينة) is an Arabic name for girls that means “beautiful”, “soft, fine sand”.12 It is the diminutive of bathna, which means “soft, fine sand.”34 Bathna also referred to a type of floor from the Levant.5
There is one Companion of the Prophet Muhammad named Buthaina:
- Buthaina bint al-Dhahhak بثينة بنت الضحاك
Below is the name Buthaina written in Arabic naskh script:
The name Buthaina written in Arabic kufi script:
- Sultan Qaboos Encyclopedia of Arab Names (Sultan Qaboos University, 1985), بُثَيْنَة.
- Ismāʿīl bin Ḥammād al-Jawharī, Tāj al-Lugha wa Ṣiḥāḥ al-ʿArabīya (d. 1003 CE), بثن.
- Muḥammad al-Fattinī, Majmaʿ Biḥār al-Anwār fī Gharāʾib al-Tanzīl wa Laṭāʾif al-Akhbār (d. 1578 CE), بثن.
- Ibn Manẓūr, Lisān al-ʿArab (d. 1311 CE), بثن.
- Al-Zamakhsharī, Asās al-Balāgha (d. 1143 CE), ب ث ن.