Buhayya (transliteration: Buhayya, Arabic: بُهيّة) is an Arabic name for girls that is likely the diminutive form of Bahiyya,1, meaning “pleasing to the eye”, “good-looking”, “beautiful”, “attractive”.234
Buhayya is also spelled Buhaiya, Buhayyah, Bohaya and Buhaya among others.
There are two female Companions of the Prophet Muhammad named Buhayya:
- Buhayya bint Abdullah al-Bakriyyah بهية بنت عبد الله البكرية
- Buhayya bint Busr بهية بنت بسر
Below is the name Buhayya written in Arabic naskh script:
Below is the name Buhayya written in Arabic kufi script:
- Ibn Sīda al-Mursī, Al-Muḥkam wa-l-Muḥīṭ al-Aʿẓam (d. 1066 CE), ب هـ و.
- Arabic-English Lexicon by Edward William Lane (d. 1876), بهو.
- Sultan Qaboos Encyclopedia of Arab Names (Sultan Qaboos University, 1985), بَهِيَّة.
- Al-Fayyūmī, Al-Miṣbāḥ al-Munīr fī Gharīb al-Sharḥ al-Kabīr (d. 1368 CE), بهو.