Awfa (transliteration: Awfā, Arabic: أوفى) is an Arabic name for boys. Awfa is a verb that means “he kept a promise”1, “he gave something its due”2, “he looked upon something from above”3. It is not clear which one of these meanings was intended by the name.
The word Awfa is used in a number of places in the Quran, as in verse 3:76:
Indeed, whoever fulfills his promises and maintains piety—God loves the pious.
There are two Companions of the Prophet Muhammad named Awfa:
- Awfa bin Urfutah أوفى بن عرفطة
- Awfa bin Mawlah al-Tamimi al-Anbari أوفى بن مولى التميمي العنبري
Below is the name Awfa written in Arabic naskh script:
Below is the name Awfa written in Arabic kufi script:
- Ibn Sīda al-Mursī, Al-Muḥkam wa-l-Muḥīṭ al-Aʿẓam (d. 1066 CE), وفي.
- Ahmad Mukhtar Umar, Muʿjam al-Lugha al-ʿArabīya al-Muʿāṣira (d. 2003 CE), وفي.
- Arabic-English Lexicon by Edward William Lane (d. 1876), وفي.