Afif (transliteration: ʿAfīf, Arabic: عفيف) is an Arabic name for boys that means “one who avoids sinful and unpious behaviors”, therefore meaning “chaste”, “virtuous”, “modest”.12 The name is derived from the Arabic verb ʿaffa, which literal means “to stay away from (something sinful)”.3
Afif is also spelled as Afeef.
There are seven Companions of the Prophet Muhammad named Afif:
- Afeef bin al-Harith al-Yamani عفيف بن الحارث اليماني
- Afeef bin Sa`d bin Dhi Yazn al-Humairi عفيف بن سعد بن ذي يزن الحميري
- Afeef bin Abdullah bin Ka`b عفيف بن عبد الله بن كعب
- Afeef al-Kindi عفيف الكندي
- Afeef bin Ma`di al-Kindi عفيف بن معدي الكندي
- Afeef bin al-Mundhir al-Tameemi عفيف بن المنذر التميمي
- Afeef father of Ghutaif عفيف والد غطيف
Below is the name Afif written in Arabic naskh script:
Below is the name Afif written in Arabic kufi script:
- Mukhtaar al-Sihaah by al-Razi (d. 1266 CE), entry for عفف.
- Asaas al-Balaaghah by al-Zamakhshari (d. 1143 CE), entry forعفف.
- Lisaan al-Arab by Ibn Manzur (d. 1311 CE), entry for عفف.