Abyad may also be spelled as Abiad, Abiaz, Abyez and Ebyez.
The word Abyaḍ is used in the Quran in verse 2:187:
Permitted for you is intercourse with your wives on the night of the fast. They are a garment for you, and you are a garment for them. God knows that you used to betray yourselves, but He turned to you and pardoned you. So approach them now, and seek what God has ordained for you, and eat and drink until the white streak of dawn can be distinguished from the black streak. Then complete the fast until nightfall. But do not approach them while you are in retreat at the mosques. These are the limits of God, so do not come near them. God thus clarifies His revelations to the people, that they may attain piety.
There are six Companions of the Prophet Muhammad with the name of Abyad:
- Abyad bin Aswad أبيض بن أسود
- Abyad al-Ansari أبيض الأنصاري
- Abyad bin Hammal al-Mazini أبيض بن حمّال المازني من حمير
- Abyad bin Abdul Rahman أبيض بن عبد الرحمن
- Abyad bin Hanee bin Mu`awiyah أبيض بن هني بن معاوية
- Abyad of Egypt أبيض من نزلاء مصر
Below is the name Abyad written in Arabic naskh script:
Below is the same name written in Arabic kufi script: